Developer RobotLovesKitty (the indie dev studio responsible for Legend of Dungeon, and Upsilon Circuit) has announced its newest Kickstarter project for Raspberry Pi handheld GameKid, which will be launching in several hours.
GameKid is a handheld console for use with the Raspberry Pi B+, A+, and Raspberry Pi 2. It supports RetroPie for tons of your favorite old retro games! We’re encouraging developers to build for the Pi, by hosting Game Jams and giving them a platform to distribute their games. You’ll see new native Raspberry Pi titles, and brand new game roms built for classic consoles.
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi A+, B+ and 2
- Configured for RetroPie to emulate all your favorite consoles and Pi games.
- D-Pad, 4 Front Buttons, Start/Select/Option, and 2 Trigger buttons
- Built in Stereo Speakers and a Headphone Jack
- 2500mAh Battery (lasts ~5 hours with an A+ Pi), rechargeable by Micro USB port
- HDMI out! Connect to a TV and add USB controllers for a portable multiplayer game console!
- Functional Raspberry Pi mini computer! Just add a mouse and keyboard.
Here are the new screenshots:
And, take a look at the Kickstarter video:
Robot Loves Kitty’s master plan is to bring more indie games to the Raspberry Pi. They are already reaching out to developers, and they will be hosting the “Raspberry Jam” during the Kickstarter, as the first step to encourage developers to build for the platform.
The GameKid Kickstarter rewards include things like: a strange little figurine, DIY kits, Glow in the Dark GameKids, and even a stainless steel “run it over with a tank” version.
Source: Press Release