This is our review for Chariot Wars by developer OM Entertainment, a story-driven arcade racing game set in Ancient Rome.
- Single player arcade racing including Championship and Time Trial modes
- Exciting story told via a digital graphic novel
- Levels set in Ancient Greece, Egypt, Helvetia and Gaul during day and night levels
- Eight different chariot models
- Male and female charioteer avatars
- Multiple horse types to unlock and upgrade
- Real-time 8 player multiplayer
- Lobby, achievements and global leaderboard
- We enjoyed the graphics as the colors seemed to pop off the screen with realistic Roman era influence.
- We liked the character choices as well as the horses and chariots.
- If you like racing and are tired of the car race scene, then this game is definitely a fun change of pace.
- You can play Single or Multiplayer modes.
- In Single Player mode, you can practice away in the Timed Trial runs and then proceed into the Championship mode when ready.
- Neat Roman era type music, which you can turn off or on.
- Easy WASD or Direction Arrows controls, Space Bar for speed boost.
- When game first starts, right after the cut scene (which is very long), you see 4 blank bars so we had to click on the top one, which took us back to another screen with 3 blank lines. After clicking on several blank bars, we were finally brought to the selection menus. It was a bit confusing and took a while to get to the Main Menu.
- A couple of times after crashing the chariot, our horse continued the race into the sky and just stayed in the same spot running its hooves while the timer continued.
- We would like to see a little status map in the bottom somewhere of where the other charioteers are instead of just racing blindly and not being sure where you are.
- We would also like to see some type of coin accrual gauge at the top of the screen while racing and collecting coins
Here is the launch trailer:
Overall, we enjoyed playing Chariot Wars and would like to see some fixes for smoother play.
We gave Chariot Wars 7/10.
Related: Chariot Wars Now Available on Steam