Developer Above and Beyond Technologies has announced that the Kickstarter-funded sci-fi sandbox MMORPG, The Repopulation, will release on Steam in Q4 2015.
The title is currently on Steam in Early Access and will be feature complete this summer. The Repopulation will offer an unparalleled level of freedom in MMORPGs. The game’s nation building system allows for the construction of massive inhabitable cities from the ground up. Players also have two combat systems to select from: third-person shooter or a traditional MMORPG control scheme.
In combat gamers choose between two systems. The more traditional RPG setting has numerous macros across the bottom and optional tab targeting. The action setting plays like a third-person shooter with the keyboard controlling movement and the mouse aim. Limbs can be targeted and damaged to impair enemies. In both systems, when the action heats up vehicles, turrets and mechs can be deployed.
The open-ended nature of The Repopulation allows gamers to play how they desire. Missions can be filtered, allowing individuals to focus on the gameplay experiences they enjoy most. Unlike most MMOs, there are no character classes or leveling, thus decreasing the grinding nature of gameplay commonly found in the genre. With more than 75 separate skills, each with 12 tiers, gamers can mix and match the talents they find most appealing to create their own perfect character. With such a deep level of character customization, player interactions are key in order to find party members that complement each other.
“After more than five years of development, we are ecstatic to have a launch window,” said Joshua Halls, developer, Above and Beyond Technologies. “Gamers like you and I made The Repopulation possible, so we have paid close attention to feedback during testing to deliver the experience players want and deserve.”
Set on the distant planet of Rhyldan, centuries into the future, players assume the role of a human clone whose original self was from the now destroyed Earth. The clones, imprinted with all their former memories, must constantly battle for survival. However, death is a minor inconvenience as individuals can always be cloned after they perish. Due to the limited resources on Rhyldan only select people are eligible for cloning and natural reproduction is not allowed, leading to a division in the colony.
Players choose between three factions: One World, One Nation supports the status quo; Free People’s Republic believes in natural reproduction as well as cloning; and a rogue nation that is free to make and break alliances at will with the other groups.
Gamers who have already been enjoying The Repopulation will notice build 15.4.1 has added a host of new features. These include a graphical update to Freedomtown, combat improvements, a new dungeon and multiple minigames. You can view the full patch notes here.
Key Features Currently Available In Early Access
- Sandbox driven gameplay which never forces you down a specific path.
- Skills based advancement with over 75 skills to advance in including combat oriented, diplomatic, rogue, entertainment, trade skill, pet, survival, and advanced skills.
- Advanced Trade Skill systems which allow for a high degree of customization in crafted goods.
- Players can switch between RPG Mode or Action Mode combat at any time. Action Mode controls like a shooter, but it built on top of RPG mechanics.
- Create homes and build cities complete with vendors, props and defensive units.
- Dynamically generated content which will change based on how players react to the world.
- Unique three faction PvP system, where the third faction is allowed to set its alliances on a nation by nation basis. PvP is entirely optional with much of the world being completely protected from it and players being able to progress entirely without ever getting involved in PvP.
- Advanced generated mission system provides a neverending stream of missions which are customized for your character. They are purely optional.
- Social oriented features which provide bonus rewards when grouping or working together with other players.
- Vehicle system allows you to upgrade and custom tailor your vehicles, even adding abilities such as Shielding, Mines, Turbo Boost, or Combat abilities.
- Three different pet systems: Genetic Engineering, Taming, and Robotics.
- Engagement system which is similar to a mutating form of Public Quests.
- Persistent Seamless World.
Key Upcoming Features
- Customizable XML based interface and GUI improvements.
- DirectX 11 Support.
- Hardcore server ruleset.
- Re-integration of the Siege system.
- Underground levels for player created cities.
- Audio improvements as we move some systems from placeholder to final.
- Ease of use features to make the game easier to grasp for new players.
- Host Player Created Tournaments in your cities.
- Raid Interface.
- Microtransaction support.
- City Perks system.
- Graphical improvements, additional FX, and general polish.
- Balance, feature refinement, bug fixes and content.
Take a look at the Alpha teaser trailer:
Source: Press Release