Relic Hunters Zero: free, open-source shooter hits Steam August 18th
A labor of love from the creators of Chroma Squad, Dungeonland and Knights of Pen & Paper, the community-driven tactical shooter will be a blast to play
Curitiba, Brazil – July 29th, 2015 – Rogue Snail’s game Relic Hunters Zero is coming to Steam very soon (August 18th). Besides looking and sounding amazing and being super fun to play, the game will be completely FREE and also the source-code is already publicly available. How cool is that?
Relic Hunters Zero is a game about shooting evil space ducks and space turtles in the face with tiny cute guns. It’s fast, it’s tactical, and feels delicious and smooth to play. You can unlock new weapons, characters and relics in order to defeat the Ducan Commander.
- Made with love by an amazing duo of developers, who worked on Chroma Squad, Knights of Pen & Paper and Dungeonland
- The game will launch on Steam August 18th for FREE
- The game’s source code and community forums are available right now! For those that wish to mod the game, craft their amazing original creations or just to laugh at the funny function names
- People can create their own game using the Relic Hunters Zero source code as a foundation
- The game will be a blast to play, featuring:
- Five very unique playable characters
- Play with mouse and keyboard + Full Xbox360 gamepad support
- Amazing lo-fi soundtrack by Goto80
- 2 fixed levels with randomly-generated enemy squads and item placements
- “Endless Mode” with unique mechanics and economy
- A challenging Final Boss Fight, because videogames
- Your mentor is a talking space donkey called “Ass”;
Why is the game free? In the words of Relic Hunters Zero`s designer, Mark: “We believe in making stuff we love just because it brings us joy. I started programming when I checked the source code of one of my favorite games of all time, Spelunky. We are doing this because we truly believe that the game can grow and become much better and more relevant if we build a community of modders and content creators around it, but that vision doesn’t go well with a pay wall. If it’s a good game, we can make money off of the next one”. So we are very excited to see what the community will create!
Here are the new screenshots:
And, here is the announcement trailer:
The team behind Relic Hunters Zero
Game designer Mark Venturelli (Dungeonland, Chroma Squad) and artist Betu Souza (Knights of Pen and Paper, also Chroma Squad) are the dynamic duo behind this game, operating under the “Rogue Snail” brand.
They’ve been making it in their spare time for the last year as a pure labor of love. The game also features the soundtrack of Swedish composer Goto80 and the sound design from Raphael Müller (who also did sound and music for Dungeonland and Chroma Squad).
Relic Hunters Zero will release for PC on Steam August 18, 2015.
Source: Press Release