From spaceships to cities to empires, everything will be player-made and customizable in this massive “continuous single-shard ” sandbox powered by cutting edge technology
Paris, France, May 24th 2016 – Paris-based game studio Novaquark has announced today Dual Universe, a sandbox Sci-Fi MMORPG currently in development for PC, set within a continuous single-shard universe where players can freely edit the world and build any construction they like with no size restrictions, from space ships to cities to giant space stations. Played in first person view, Dual Universe takes place in a vast realistic universe made of millions of planets, and focuses on emergent collective gameplay based around exploration, mining, crafting, trade, politics and warfare.
The concept of Dual Universe is described by Novaquark as a “Boundless MMO” based on an innovative server technology called CSSC (Continuous Single-Shard Cluster); the game enables everybody to play in the same world, at the same time, without any slicing of the game universe into instances or zones. In addition, for the first time in a single-shard MMO, the world is entirely modifiable and an unlimited number of players will be free to build together, cooperate or compete. The focus has been made on giving the keys back to the MMORPG fans: using the building blocks provided by the game, the in-game community will make the choices and create the content they will play in.
Formed in 2014 by veterans from Ubisoft, Sony, Apple and Aldebaran Robotics, Novaquark now boasts a 25 strong team with an ambition to revitalise the MMO genre through technological innovation.
Novaquark’s founder is Jean-Christophe Baillie an expert in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics who also happens to be an avid gamer. Having worked for Sony CSL and as Chief of Science & Technology at Aldebaran Robotics (creators of the Nao robot) he created Novaquark in 2014 to fuse his knowledge of science to the world of games.
J.C. Baillie says: “I am a huge fan of games like Eve Online and Space Engineers. I took inspiration from such games to imagine what could be the future of the MMO experience: a continuous world with planets, huge building possibilities, social and political aspects, but without the boundaries that so often restrict the gameplay. This idea needs a lot of tech and emergent game design that is not so far from AI and other fields I’m familiar with. So, I got a first prototype working back in 2014, and Novaquark was born soon after.”
An alpha version demonstrating the unique single hard cluster (CSSC) and planetary engine with a preliminary set of gameplay features is planned to become available at the beginning of 2017. Beyond its initial release, Dual Universe is set to be a long term continuous development project and will grow with regular updates.
Dual Universe Gameplay Features
- Boundless Massively Multiplayer Game: potentially millions of players can share the same universe at the same time. One world, no boundaries, no zones, no instances
- Rich emergent gameplay mechanisms enable players to create their own societies
- Fully editable world: dig, deploy, craft, create and shape almost everything
- Giant player-made ships and constructions can be inhabited and host large crews
- Immersive first person view in a futuristic sci-fi universe
- Realistic in-game economy (based on market orders and financial tools)
- Scriptable constructions (ships, buildings, etc) using LUA: players can build their own piloting, AI or factory automation.
- Continuous Single-Shard Cluster: the technology behind the “Boundless” MMO approach
- Procedurally generated planets, revealed as players explore further and further
- 25cm precision voxel technology to modify the environment or construct buildings/ships
- Unlimited LOD (Level Of Detail) technology allows planet-sized construction to be built
- 64bit Planetary Engine: Smooth transitions from planet surfaces, through atmosphere and into space with no limits to how far the player can travel or see.
Dual Universe is currently in development for PC.