Dragon Foundry, (a cadre of veteran designers and artists hailing from Wizards of the Coast, Valve, ArenaNet, Disney, Playdom, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google) hopes to secure $40,000 from backers in order to take Nova Blitz from Alpha to Gold in 2016.
In just one day, the Seattle developer has already secured more than $15,000 from Kickstarter backers — exceeding 35% of its funding goal. The crowdfunding campaign will end at 9 p.m. Pacific on Thursday August 20, 2015.
Here are the download links for the Alpha build:
GAMEPLAY AND STORY
A fresh take on the TCG genre, Nova Blitz offers players quick games that last less than five minutes. Players simultaneously summon monsters, play Powers, and duel in real time — without waiting for an opponent’s turn. To achieve victory, players need nerves of steel, a sharp mind — and the ability to mix strategy, tactics, and foresight at a moment’s notice. Combat is instant, intense . . . and vicious.
The universe of Nova Blitz is ruled by the five Aspects of Energy: Arcane, Tech, Divine, Nature, and Chaos. Knowing the differences between them is critical — since each Aspect has its own strengths, weaknesses, creatures, Powers, and optimum playstyles.
Players take on the role of a “Nova” — a being capable of wielding the Aspects of Energy. Crisscrossing the universe in search of fame and fortune, the player’s ultimate goal is to compete in the Nova Blitz Championship.
While Nova Blitz keeps some of the more familiar aspects of TCGs (e.g., having players supply enough energy to play certain cards), the game’s unique real-time turn system is the main attraction. Dragon Foundry has created a system that allows opponents to play cards simultaneously. In combat, players also choose their attacks and blocks at the same time — which makes predicting the adversary’s moves vital.
Paul Barclay, CEO of Dragon Foundry:
“We were beyond thrilled when Nova Blitz was greenlit within a week. It is now clear to us that TCG fans really want this game to happen. With Nova Blitz, we’re bringing something new to the table: First, no more waiting for your opponent to take a turn. Second, real-time, simultaneous play where making the first move has its own risks and rewards. Third, a unique combat system featuring bluffing and counter-bluffing. We encourage everyone to play the Alpha build: You’re going to be hooked well before the first battle is over.”
- No mana screw: The shuffler ensures that players don’t get mana screwed!
- Simultaneous turns: No waiting for your opponent to play a turn
- Real-time play: Think on your feet and react to your opponent in real time
- Quick games: Each game takes less than five minutes to play, which means that you can play an entire tournament in a single night!
- Strategic combat: The combat system rewards intelligence and bluffing.
- Evolving gameplay: Each card’s abilities change how the game is played.
- Tournaments: A full in-game tournament system allows every player to enter leagues and tournaments.
- Trading: Trade cards with other players in game, or buy and sell for real money in the Steam Community Market.
- Cross-platform play: One account across Mac and PC — with iOS and Android coming soon!
The Nova Blitz community will be able to submit ideas, feedback, and card designs directly to the team. The best ideas and card designs will be added to the game.
Here is the official Nova Blitz Kickstarter video:
PRICING & AVAILABILITY
Nova Blitz will be available on Steam, iOS, and Android in 2016. The game will be free to download and play, and it will also include in-game purchases.
Source: Press Release