The National Videogame Museum (NVM) has announced that it will open its new home inside the Frisco Discovery Center on Saturday, April 2, 2016. The only museum in America dedicated to the history of the videogame industry, NVM features more than 100,000 videogame consoles, games and artifacts from the past and present. This interactive museum brings to life science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) values by tapping into America’s enthusiasm for playing and creating videogames.
The National Videogame Museum offers more than 20 installations, including:
- Pixel Dreams: A 1980s-inspired arcade full of timeless classics such as Asteroids, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders and more.
- Giant Pong: Play the classic game Pong on the world’s largest home Pong console on a giant 15-foot TV replica from the 1970s.
- Head-to-Head Hall: A hall full of gaming stations where you can go head-to-head with friends, family or competitors in tournaments. Guests may find a set of game systems and games they’ve never seen before or find a tribute to their favorite game franchise played on 10 different systems. The hall takes advantage of NVM’s 12,000+ library of games and will be an ever-changing area of fun.
- Gearbox behind the scenes: See the actual office of Randy Pitchford, founder of Gearbox Software and creator of games Borderlands, Brothers in Arms and Duke Nukem Forever.
- The Timeline of Consoles: Learn the stories and see artifacts from more than 50 past and present videogame consoles on a physical timeline.
- Rarest artifacts: A collection of rare artifacts will be displayed including the only Sega Neptune prototype, the unreleased Barbie edition for the Nintendo Game Boy Pocket system, the Atari Mindlink controller (one of only two in the world), the ultra-rare RDI Halcyon laserdisc-based game console and the Nintendo World Championships cartridge from 1990.
The Museum is located inside the Frisco Discovery Center, 8004 N. Dallas Pkwy, Frisco, Texas 75034
$12/adult (ages 13 – 65); $10/children 12 and under; military; educators; seniors
(Valid ID required upon purchase of military, educators and seniors tickets)