‘The future plays’ at gamescom congress 2016
Computer games in driverless cars, computer games as a professional sport and gamification apps for the point of sale: digital games are increasingly permeating our everyday lives. In keeping with the motto ‘The future plays’, gamescom congress 2016 sheds light on the potential of computer games, takes up the medium’s development and addresses current challenges: what requirements do virtual reality games pose in terms of youth protection? How can we deal with hate speech in online games and social networks? gamescom congress is taking place on 18 August in the Congress Centre North at Koelnmesse as part of gamescom, the world’s largest event for interactive entertainment. Tickets are now available at www.gamescom-congress.com.
gamescom congress is the largest conference in Germany that combines all manner of topics from the games industry and the intersection between other media and industry sectors. gamescom congress is the top choice of event for industry representatives from across business sectors, cultural professionals, educators, politicians and researchers. A prime example for the diverse range of topics is offered by the kick-off panel ‘The car of the future as a place to play’. How the auto industry sees the future of on-board entertainment in driverless cars is discussed by speakers including Marcus Kühne (Audi), Alexander Mankowsky (Daimler) and Alexander Klotz (Continental). Games have also entered the world of professional sports. Representatives from Electronic Sports League (ESL), VfL Wolfsburg, FC Schalke 04 and Besiktas Istanbul discuss the potential and their own ambitions in eSports.
Talks and panel discussions spanning five main topics shed light on a wide range of issues:
- Knowledge (examples: youth protection, education and media competence)
- Business (examples: recruiting, eSports and location development)
- Research (examples: applied interactive technologies, gamification, industry 4.0 and virtual reality)
- Legal (examples: digital single market strategy, data privacy and consumer protection)
- Life (examples: cultural criticism, hate speech and theatre)
The mix of topics as well as speakers from Germany and abroad are guaranteed to provide exciting new ideas and cross-sector networking.
gamescom Information at a glance:
Beginning and end of the event:
- Admission to gamescom congress 2016 begins on 18 August at 9.00 a.m.
- The conference in the Congress Centre North at Koelnmesse ends at 5.30 p.m.
- The ticket shop is available at www.gamescom-congress.com
- Admission costs Euro 59.00. The congress ticket combined with a trade visitor ticket for gamescom on 18 August costs Euro 99.00
- Tickets are on offer for both categories at an early bird rate of Euro 49.00 or Euro 85.00 respectively up to and including 7 July 2016
- Tickets are available at the event box office for Euro 69.00 or Euro 109.00 respectively
- Tickets for students and teachers cost Euro 25.00. A verification is required and must be shown at the day of the conference
This year, gamescom congress is once again recognised as a training programme for teachers and educators. Participants can request a corresponding document on the day of the event and have a certificate issued for themselves at the event.
About gamescom congress 2016
gamescom congress 2016 takes place on Thursday, 18 August from 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. in the Congress Centre North at Koelnmesse as part of gamescom, Europe’s leading business platform for the gaming industry. In keeping with the motto ‘The future plays’, the congress sheds light on how digital games permeate our everyday lives and shape societal discourse. Its focus and diverse range of topics make gamescom congress unique in Germany. The congress is hosted by Koelnmesse GmbH and BIU — Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware e. V. (Federal Association of Interactive Entertainment Software), sponsored by the City of Cologne and the Minister for Federal Affairs, Europe and Media of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, and organised by Aruba Events GmbH. Further information is available at www.gamescom-congress.com.