I had the pleasure of meeting with Paris-based game studio Novaquark at gamescom 2016 to preview their demo of the upcoming sandbox first-person MMORPG, Dual Universe.
My first impressions were that Dual Universe is an extremely bold undertaking and is what No Man’s Sky tried to be. I strongly believe that within a year’s time, the game is going to blow up and be one of the most popular MMO’s, similar to EVE Online.
Dual Universe Gameplay Features
- Boundless Massively Multiplayer Game: potentially millions of players can share the same universe at the same time. One world, no boundaries, no zones, no instances
- Rich emergent gameplay mechanisms enable players to create their own societies
- Fully editable world: dig, deploy, craft, create and shape almost everything
- Giant player-made ships and constructions can be inhabited and host large crews
- Immersive first person view in a futuristic sci-fi universe
- Realistic in-game economy (based on market orders and financial tools)
- Scriptable constructions (ships, buildings, etc) using LUA: players can build their own piloting, AI or factory automation.
- Continuous Single-Shard Cluster: the technology behind the “Boundless” MMO approach
- Procedurally generated planets, revealed as players explore further and further
- 25cm precision voxel technology to modify the environment or construct buildings/ships
- Unlimited LOD (Level Of Detail) technology allows planet-sized construction to be built
- 64bit Planetary Engine: Smooth transitions from planet surfaces, through atmosphere and into space with no limits to how far the player can travel or see.
Here is the new Dual Universe – Massively Multiplayer Server Technology Dev Diary:
Dual Universe is currently in development for PC. The alpha is scheduled for early 2017.