Comedic take on adulthood, CRAP! I’M BROKE: OUT OF POCKET is now available on the App Store and Google Play
With a sharp wit and unmatched Cubist aesthetic, Crap! I’m Broke addresses the struggle of underemployment with incredibly fun mini-games and a mischievous sense of humor.
In Crap! I’m Broke, you start by finding some work. On your own for the first time, you begin your career as a human statue, club bouncer, or any other odd job you stumble upon — anything to avoid eviction and keep starvation at bay. Each “Help Wanted” sign presents a challenging new time-limited mini-game, such as:
- Scrubbing dishes until they’re squeaky clean at a local diner
- Flipping burgers for customers at a burger joint
- Putting colored cans in their appropriate bins at a factory
Be sure to keep an eye on the countdown timer and hunger meters. Forgetting to pay your bills on time will get you evicted — while not saving enough money for food will cause you to die of starvation! On the other hand, paying your bills before the due date will unlock special micro-games that you can play at your leisure. If you complete special “Employee of the Month” challenges, you can also earn extra bonuses after every successful job!
Random events can and will take place — raising the cost of your bills at the end of the month. Thankfully, you can also earn lifetime achievements and buy new items to unlock higher paying jobs — eventually selling achievements and items on particularly tough months. Conversely, you can put off the inevitable by going into debt — but make sure you pay it off by the end of the month. If you’re late, say goodbye to that comfy apartment!
If you regularly complete challenges and do good deeds such donating to charities, you’ll be rewarded with good luck through Crap! I’m Broke’s karma system — which increases your chances at winning lottery tickets, receiving gifts in the mail, and more. Likewise, performing less-than-stellar deeds will land you on the business end of a series of unfortunate events.
Molly Heady-Carroll (co-founder, Arcane Circus),
“In college — when I was a fairly broke student — I received a dentist bill of €80. It may not sound like much now, but it might as well have been €1,000 back then. I wanted to make a game that shows players what it’s like to just get by — and what it really takes to basically stay above water.”
Erik van Wees (co-founder, Arcane Circus),
“When I moved out of my mom’s house, I had to find a job immediately. I remember just walking around looking for ‘Help Wanted’ ads in windows, which is what influenced the idea of running around town to find jobs in the game. Other real-world experiences also had an effect on gameplay — such as having to choose between bills and eating. That’s a tough choice no matter how you slice it.”
Crap! I’m Broke Key Features:
- Enjoy a Cubist-inspired game world and a jazzy soundtrack by underground musician Kimono
- Pursue a variety of careers as dishwasher, human statue, bouncer … and many more!
- Play fun mini-game jobs — and do whatever it takes to pay those bills
- Use your newfound disposable income to buy items, unlock perks, and earn new jobs — spending as wisely or as recklessly as you see fit
- Save spare time between levels and unlock micro-games
- Choose and accomplish New Year’s resolutions and collect lifetime memories
- Be a Good Samaritan and reap rewards — or misbehave and be met with bad luck — with an in-game karma system
- Buy items at the in-game webshop that may grant you perks and access to new areas